On May 25th the General Data Protection Regulation will come into effect across the EU. The GDPR is a piece of EU-wide legislation which will determine how people's personal data is processed and kept safe and the legal rights individuals have in relation to their own data.
As public organisations, schools are required to comply.
Rothersthorpe already has strong data protection policies in place but these now all need to be updated in line with GDPR. In addition to comply with GDPR, we need to show a paper trail and how we are compliant.
At Rothersthorpe, we:
- are making everyone in school aware of GDPR including governors
- have appointed a Data Protection Officer to ensure our school is professionally supported
- have produced an action plan
- have produced an information audit and are in the process of completing a risk assessment
- have produced a GDPR information statement and privacy notices
- are reviewing all our data, documents and policies
We already highly value and protect all of our pupils, parents and staff data and will continue to do so in the presence of GDPR.
For further information about GDPR please visit the ICO website.
This video is a great overview of GDPR and how it affects schools and has been produced by GDPRiS to inform parents.