Finland Day One
Teaching and Learning
- Evaluation of values and best practice from UK schools. Networking and sharing with other schools from UK and Romania.
- Finnish education - 2000 applications last year for teacher training with 800 places available. A well respected profession based on trust and autonomy. One teaching union - 98% of teachers join. No school rankings.
- New Curriculum in Finland August 2016. Ethos - 'Developing as a human being and as a citizen'. Big focus on pupils' reflecting and evaluating their own learning. Topic led approach rather than subjects. Enterprise initiatives In school.
Facts about Joensuu
- Joensuu is the capital of Finland's eastern most province in North Karelia.
- The city was established by Czar Nikolai I of Russia in 1848.
- Joensuu is close to the Russian border and 400km to Helsinki.
- The city has excellent waterways stretching all the way to St Petersburg.
- It is the centre for trade, culture, education and technology.
- There are lots of Birch trees.
- A restaurant called Maritina in Church Street serves wonderful food such as pickles, salad and chicken with goats cheese.